Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ladies night! Top 8 girls.

Ok... the top 8 ladies. But first, I must discuss a few things...

a.) Let's just go ahead right now and make a rule for this season and all seasons that may follow that states: no contestant is ever allowed to hold up their fingers to tell us what number to call to vote for them EVER again. We can HEAR Ryan tell us what number. And even if we couldn't hear him, we can read. We know that 1-866-IDOLS-04 means that we must dial a 04 after we spell IDOLS on our phone. Please stop showing us with your fingers! Can't stand it. I just can't stand it.
b.) Kara. Do you really need to sit so close to Simon? I don't think so. You are trying to be Paula...that's the only explanation. You are trying to create that silly kindergarten crush thing that the two of them had going on. You should just stop. Seriously. Just stop. You should also stop using the word "artist" 950 times during EACH contestant critique. We are all WELL aware of the fact that you want them all to know what kind of artist they are. Just like the holding up of the numbers...we do not need you to tell us about being an artist every 30 seconds.

Ok....now that that is off my chest! Let's get this started!

Katie Stevens: Oh dear. Dear, sweet, I'm-not-quite-ready-for-this-competition-yet, Katie. That was not good. Not good at all. SOOOO flat! So very, VERY flat. Pretty much the whole song was a disaster. I do feel bad for her that she's gotten so much confusing advice, because she really has...but that doesn't mean that she's allowed to sing bad. There is just no excuse for that anymore. I would be VERY surprised if she made it through. Especially with the variety of most of the other ladies left... she shouldn't be cracking the top 12. She's a sweet girl, but, no.
Siobh(v)an Magnus: I am still just not quite sure how I feel about her. I really enjoyed the first a capella part and was QUITE impressed that she was right on pitch when the music came in....BUT I just don't know about her. I like her, I do. I'm just not sure I love her yet. Her voice is huge, and she is so quirky that it just works for her but I'm not convinced I'd want to listen to her all the time. There are a lot of good things about her voice, I'll give her that. I think her big voice and interesting personality will get her into the top 12. I'm just not sure how long she'll stay there.....
Lacey Brown: Hello! Welcome to the show Lacey!! I mean....WHERE has that been the last 3 weeks. I loved it. Loved it. I was finally able to see why they put her in the top 24 in the first place. Her tone is great! The flip between her chest voice and her falsetto is awesome. That was, by far, the best she's sounded since we've seen her.... no question! She's just got a super cool sound and I think this was actually the first we really got to hear it! I am so glad she finally did a great job... I was pulling for her. Oh, and the fact that she's so dang gorgeous KINDA makes me want to puke!
Katelyn Epperly: Um. I loved her last week. Not too crazy about this week. She has a good voice. She's very effortless when she sings and that's part of what makes her so good. I just didn't like that song choice. She sounded great again, but she shouldn't have played the piano again...she should've been moving around with that song. I mean, the lyric even said "I feel the earth MOVE" and she just stood there! Her voice is definitely good enough to get her to the top 12 though.. I just wish that performance would've been a little more lively or something. Part of me also feels like maybe she's EXPECTING to get far in the competition so maybe she didn't try as hard tonight or something. I don't know. I really like her, but something tonight kinda made me feel like she was a little too sure of herself. I don't know. Hopefully that wasn't the case cuz I don't want to stop liking her.
Didi Benami: Oh, Didi... THERE you are!!! Again, just like Lacey.. I am SO glad Didi showed up tonight! I loved that! That is FOR SURE the reason why I loved her in Hollywood week... because she had that vibe and sounded that great! That was the perfect song choice for her voice and she did an excellent job. LIGHT YEARS better than last week's train wreck! Oh I'm just so glad she redeemed herself. It was about time for me to be able to say I loved her without having to make up an excuse for why. Go, Didi, go!
Paige Miles: She must go. She must go this week. She did not do a good job tonight. Not even a little bit. That song is not easy, so if you're going to sing it..you gotta kill that sucker! She did no such thing. I mean she killed it alright..but not in the good way. Eek. Not only did her voice sound horrible, but she seemed disconnected (despite that "emotional connection" she had to the song). Also, I was bored out of my mind about 15 seconds in. It was just bad. All around bad. If she sticks around after this week I will be VERY surprised and not at all happy about it. See ya later, Paige!
Crystal Bowersox: First things first.... WONDERFUL song choice! That is one of my favorite songs of all time and I am so glad she did it cuz it fit her perfectly! She is clearly the judges favorite, and tonight I think I finally started to see why. She is obviously unique. And tonight I thought she just really found her element. Not that she hadn't been in it before, but for me tonight was a turning point for her. Maybe it was just cuz I loved the song so much, but I thought that was her best performance so far. She's just very good. Her tone is so different and so interesting, but that is what makes her somebody that people are gonna want to listen to. She's not going anywhere for a very long time.
Lilly Scott: Once again, loved her. I thought the song choice this week was interesting and I didn't love it, but I just love her voice so much. I'll probably say the same thing every week, but I'd buy her album in a heartbeat. I just really love her vibe so much! I think her and Crystal are at the top of the pack for the girls. There were some others that might have started giving them a run for their money tonight, but they're up there for sure! Lilly is just plain old good and I can't wait to see how far she can take it!

Ok...so if Paige Miles and Katie Stevens AREN'T the ones to go this week, I'll be pretty peeved. I mean....what other choices are there? None. There are no other choices. They need to go. Case closed. Please do not pass go, please to not collect $200 and PLEASE to not make it into the top 12 over someone who clearly deserves it WAY more than you!

Alright...I'm ready for the fellas tomorrow! Bring it on!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Gina...I got to agree with ya...strong leaders right now are Crystal and Lilly...but Siobhan is really growing on me...she's quirky but she's a consistent performer. Lacey...I really do like her but she's not as consistent as I would like...hopefully this will be a turning point for her. I got to tell ya...if Crystal came out with a CD tomorrow...I'd be all over it...been listening to Adam Lambert for the past two weeks...not to change the subject...but wow...he is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like that Shavon a lot! I think she will have some pretty amazing performances to come. Crystal is amazing though! wow! The guys are going to have their work cut out for them. Watch Big Mike.. he was my favorite but I feel like each week he is more and more into himself, and maybe I would be too if I bench pressed a Volkswagon, just sayin. But seriously keep an eye on his arrogance meter as it is going up, but i still like him. I am looking forward to seeing that rocker wanna be guy and the straight up guy. Enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so I totally noticed the Kara sitting so close to Simon too and it bugged me. But as I looked closer, it seemed as though he had pushed his chair closer to her and sat on the side to be nearer to her. As well, she didn't slide over either to avoid it, so I guess they are both to blame.

    And I completed AGREE with you on the whole "hold up your fingers when Ryan is saying my number" thing. I'm sure someone did it out of nerves in the very first season and it has yet to stop. If you win on Ellen's contest, I know you will share this frustration from us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...when they announced that Paige was singing Smile, I told my husband "I love this song"....
    She started singing and I wanted to cry. Jesse said "this song is not good, why do you like it?" Now I have to find it on you tube so he can hear what it is supposed to sound like :)
    Agree with everything except I am still not so sure about Lacey. She is beautiful but kinda hit or miss...I think between her and Katie and for sure Paige!
    Sarah Hardcastle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Siobhan. Crystal. Faves. Didi...really? Not so much. I do not like her singing Stevie...(Lacey kind of has the Stevie Nicks vibe...sort of)still, better than last week. Paige...AWFUL. Seriously. Awful.

    And I really didn't like what Lily did to I Fall to Pieces. I kinda did while she sang.

    Except for Crystal and possibly Siobhan, I am just not feelin' the girl's this year. I'm sad.

    But; I L.O.V.E. Ellen.

    And you :~)

    ReplyDelete