Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Top 11....

Ok. Show of hands.... who sings better than this year's contestants? C'mon.. raise 'em up.... OH! Would you look at that?! HALF OF ALL AMERICA IS RAISING THEIR HANDS! If you didn't raise your hand I can only assume that you are tone deaf because that is the ONLY way you'd be worse than the vast majority of the remaining 11 people on Idol this season.


Before I get into the performances, let's just ask one... no, I'm sorry... two.. very important questions regarding the show tonight. 1.) Why on a night when you can pick ANY number 1 Billboard song there has EVER been, did half of the contestants choose to sing songs over 20 years old? It wasn't "classics" night. Song choices were bad tonight. Just all around bad. And 2.) Miley Cyrus as a mentor? Really!? MENTOR? I realize she's sold a bunch of albums and has had crazy success in her 17 years of life, but as a VOCAL mentor? No. If I wanted advice on how to handle my fame at such a young age, or how to find people who will market me and my career so successfully, sure... I'd maybe ask Miley. If I wanted advice on how to be a good singer, she'd be at the bottom of my list just slightly above Taylor Swift.


Ok.. moving on to the performances (which will be in no particular order tonight).... Oh, and as a sidenote, I am currently listening to Adam's performances from last season on my iTunes right now. I felt the need to remind myself that the show didn't always suck so bad. And I needed some Adam to remind me that he rules. Ok.... here we go...



1.) Siobhan: She did not do good tonight. I'm still on the fence about if I even like her voice or not, but tonight I for sure did not. Singing a Stevie song is always a big risk. I just don't get the excitement over her. I know she's different and quirky and has a good enough voice, but I just don't get the hype. She's not THAT great. And I'll say it again just like I said it last week... she needs to lay off the screaming a little. It's not that it's bad, it's just not what it needs to be.. especially if she plans on pulling it out every week. If she's gonna continue to be the "most exciting" contestant this season, it's gonna be a LOOONG season. I just don't love her and I'm not sure I ever will.


2.) Big Mike: He's good. He's just just a solid voice. He rarely sings off key, he picks songs that fit his voice, and he sings them well. He's a BIT too cheesy at times, KIND OF comes off a little cocky every once and a while and tends to "over" perform some weeks. However, even with that said, he has one of the best voices of everyone left so for that and that alone, he should stick around for a long time. I would MUCH rather here him sing than to EVER have to hear.....


3.) Paige Miles: If she does not go home this week I will throw something at my television. I am not kidding. THAT. WAS. HORRENDOUS. 100%, absolutely, mind blowingly, gut wrenchingly AWFUL. I think it's safe to say that 99% of the notes she sang were out of tune. Bad. Bad, bad BAD! And that song?! To sing "Against All Odds" in the style the Mariah Carey did it in.. oh my GOSH woman.... you are NUTS! What part of her ever thought that was a good idea. That MAY have been one of the worst performances ever on the Idol stage. Seriously, if she makes the tour of Top 10, they should charge people less for the fact that they'll have to listen to her. Yuck. Please PLEASE go home! My WORD. And speaking of going home, someone who should join you shortly after....


4, 5, 6.) Tim Urban, Aaron Kelly, and Katie Stevens. They are all getting lumped into one critique here because I don't care about them enough to give them separate numbers. Tim. I don't even remember what you sang. Forgive me, but I didn't take notes tonight like I used to and you are just THAT forgettable. I know it was something old school, that I do remember. I also remember that you slid across the stage and basically jumped into the circle of "fans" that they put in front of the stage. Although Kara was a bit harsh with you, she was right.... you really shouldn't be doing that yet. Sadly, I think you have enough 14 year old girls voting for you to stick around. Please just try to sing better. Now Aaron..... and Aerosmith song? Honestly!? What are these people thinking?! The judges were all about him tonight which I canNOT understand. It was pitchy and WAY too big for him and just not good. His crush on Miley Cyrus was cute and he's a nice kid, but he is just so ho-hum. Nothing exciting about him. At all. And then there's Katie. Oh sweet Lord. Your song choice with Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" wasn't bad. It fit your style sure. But Randy was right...you were sharp and off key the whole time. Again, nothing exciting about you. You need to go home... before Tim and Aaron, or directly after them it really doesn't matter. Just leave.


7.) Casey James: Another old song pick for Casey with "Power of Love". I thought he actually did okay tonight. His voice sounded good and I thought, even though he could've picked something slightly more IN THIS DECADE, that it was actually a good song for his voice. He sounded a lot like Huey Lewis to me, which in this case was a good thing I think. He really needs to ditch the electric guitar though. Three weeks in a row is a bit much, dude. We know you're a guitarist.. you've shown us that already. Try just singing next week.


8.) Lee Dewyze: I like Lee. Something about him is endearing to me and I like him. His voice isn't spectacular, but judging by what he's up against I'd say he's one of the better ones... which, sadly.. isn't saying much this year. I wasn't crazy about the arrangement of his song tonight, but he did well. He's for sure getting more relaxed up there. Tonight was the first time I felt like he really let loose and just had fun with it. He didn't look nervous and it helped him perform better. He'll be around a bit for sure.


9.) Didi Benami: Ok, what was the deal with all the bad critiques from the judges??? I thought she sounded really good tonight. Her pitch, contrary to what Randy was blabbering, was actually very good I thought. I just really like her voice. All the way back in Hollywood week I remember picking her as one of my favorite voices. Just that weird tone of hers is so "in" right now. And with Lilly being gone, Didi is the one that's carrying that vibe. I put Crystal in an entirely different category, so I'm not even gonna compare the two. I just really like Didi and think she has some great, raw talent. I hope people didn't listen to what the judges were saying cuz she's one that I actually like hearing every week. I'd hate to see her go too soon.


10.) Andrew Garcia: While writing this blog I honestly forgot all about Andrew until right this second. That's not a good sign. He's losing his "umph!" He's confusing to me... he's definitely got a great voice, but I feel like he is just SO limited in what he can do. He's stuck in this box of only being able to do a few certain things and sing a very small range of notes... I don't know. I like him as a person and I do enjoy his voice most of the time, I just think he's losing steam. I am hoping and praying he outlasts at least 4 of the people I've already talked about (Katie, Paige, Aaron, Tim.....) but I just don't know how much farther he can go with how limited he is. He needs to do something to "wow" us again...and fast!


11.) Crystal Bowersox: She is the reason I watch the show. And I'm not even crazy about her. But since Alex Lambert and Lilly are gone and she is the most talented of anyone left on the show, I have to default her to my favorite contestant this year. Janis Joplin was the perfect choice for her. She beginning to sound a little predictable every week, but hopefully whatever "surprise" she has for all of us next week will change that up a bit. I want her to win.. for a few different reasons. First of all, there has never been a person of her style, both vocally and appearance wise, that has won and I think it would be great to change the "mold" of what previous American Idols have been. And secondly, her vibe is so "in" right now...that indie/slightly hippie-like sound, and I think she'd be very successful. I just think that if this seasons is gonna be as horrible as it, the least we can do is pick someone like her to win to spice things up a little!

Alright... there ya have it. Paige better go home. No one wants to see her on the Top 10 tour... trust me. No one. I might say a legitimate prayer before bed tonight that her journey ends tomorrow. Now, if you'll excuse me.... my iTunes tracks of Adam Lambert need some undivided attention.

3 comments:

  1. American Idol is careening down a dark tunnel these days...Crystal is hands above better than anyone else's talent...clearly. She is humble and somewhat of a trend setter and did Janis proud. I agree with you on Lee as well...he is growing on me...I have always like his voice but feels he just needs to grow into his comfort zone...although he really did try by putting down the guitar last night. Paige needs to go as well as Tim HS Musical Urban. Aaron did okay but he just doesn't wow me. And I'm tired of the Casey train...geez Kara...what's up with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the "Miley as a mentor"...totally didn't agree with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Chesnutt also did "don't want to miss a thing". it spent two weeks as #1 on the country billboard charts. pretty sure that's what little Aaron was going for.

    that said.

    I still don't like him :)

    I am in agreement with all you wrote!

    ReplyDelete