Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Top 10 Ladies

Well the top 10 ladies have sung and I've come to the conclusion that I think a girl is gonna win. That's what I got from tonight's performances. I don't necessarily think they're crazy fantastic or anything, but in comparison to the guys I just think a girl is gonna win. I feel like there is a lot more variety in the girls' voices and I think they just have a better shot this season than the guys.

So let's get started....
1.) Crystal Bowersox. First of all, I just can't get over her name. Bowersox? I feel like I'm hearing about a SNL skit.. it's just weird. But anyway, she can't really do anything about that! Her voice is really different and I can't decide yet if I like it or not. I don't DISlike it...I'm just not sure how I feel. She has pretty decent pitch all the time and her vibe is super cool, I just feel like she'd get hard to listen to after a while. I don't know. She'll be in the top 10...that's for sure. People like her and she's one of the more popular ones. I think she'll grow on me as the competition goes on.
2.) Haeley Vaughn. Yuck. Yuck, yuck, and double yuck. There are 2 things about Haeley I just cannot stand. a.) her mouth. Wow. She looks like a big mouthed bass. Sorry.. I know that's mean, but c'mon! How else am I supposed to describe her?! b.) she sings bad. Plain and simple...she is just not good. She was basically flat that entire song and aside from that it just was not a good song for her. I really just need her to go home immediately and I'm afraid she might stick around a lot longer than I'd like! Ugh.
3.) Lacey Brown. First things first, I think she is absolutely gorgeous! Her skin is flawless and her eyes are beautiful! Just so pretty! She was just okay for me tonight. Nothing special about her and she wasn't as good as I remember her in Hollywood. I think people like her and I think she deserves to stay for a while, but she'll really need to step it up if she wants to make the top 10. I think she has the potential to be good enough for that, but tonight just wasn't showing it. She needs to pick a better song and not be so nervous or something.
4.) Katie Stevens. Ok, here's my beef with Katie. Her first audition was great. Her Hollywood clips were okay. Her back story was played and talked about way too much. I know they're not doing it anymore, but I have a strong feeling the reason she got into the top 24 was just as much about her ailing Grandmother as it was about her singing. She's a good singer, I'll give her that...I've just heard her 650 times before. She is nothing new and nothing spectacular. Sure, for being only 17 she really does have a great voice, but again...I've heard it all before. It's like she was trying too hard tonight too...which is strange for her since she usually seems so effortless. She's just forgettable to me compared to some of the other girls. I do think she'll be around a while though so I might want to try to get used to her.
5.) Didi Benami. Oh, Didi. I was rooting for you. I really, really was.... but that was NOT good. Not even a little. I was so disappointed about it too. I LOVED her in Hollywood week when she sang one of Kara's songs. She was excellent. But tonight... oh my. I mean, stating the obvious here but that song choice was HORRIBLE! No one should ever do that song. Especially not a girl! It was just rough all around which is really unfortunate because she was one of my front runners going into this top 24. Kara was actually dead on in her critique of her...she just lost herself or something cuz her original vibe that everyone loved just isn't there anymore. She might be gone this week because that was just horribly horrible!
6.) Michelle Delamor. Oh for the love of God, PLEASE do not be the girl that stays in the competition 7 weeks longer than you should! In other words, please go home....QUICKLY. I do not like her. Not one bit. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why the judges were singing her praises tonight. She was NOT GOOD! First of all, a Creed song? Really!? My gosh. Secondly.... what's with that breathy tone throughout most of the song. Whatever you were trying to accomplish with that....you failed. I really just don't have anything good to say about her performance. That last note when she TRIED to hold it out... oh NO! Just bad. Really, truly, very, very bad. She desperately needs to go. Preferably tomorrow night.
7.) Lilly Scott. Love her. LOVE, love, LOVE her. I would buy her album tomorrow if I could. She has SUCH a great vibe...such a cool sounding voice...and such a wonderful way about her. I just don't know what it is, but she's fantastic all around. I thought the arrangement of that song (A Change is Gonna Come...which is another one that is just WAY too overdone on this show) was actually really wonderful. It made me forget that people do it too much on the show. She is the kind of girl that needs to win this show. There has never been anyone with that kind of style win before and she's probably the best of that style that we've ever seen. I like her. A lot. A WHOLE lot.
8.) Katelyn Epperly. I like her too. Not as much as Lilly, but I really like her. I didn't think the song was too slow like the judges said... I actually really liked how she broke it down. She's got a really great voice.. just a plain and simple really good, effortless kind of voice. She's a very easy listen and I thought she did a great job. There were maybe only 2 or 3 bad notes in that entire performance. I think she'll be around for a while... as she should be.
9.) Paige Miles. Well since I missed most of last week's show of the girls, this was the very first time I'd ever heard Paige sing. Not bad. I'm not shouting her praises, but she wasn't bad. Good tone, nice voice, seems like a nice girl. Here's my beef with Paige. She is clearly the "token black voice" of this season's ladies. We've heard her before. Granted, she is already MUCH better than Lil Rounds in my opinion, but is there really a need for this same kind of voice every single season? She's good, she's just a little too typical for me.
10.) Siobhan Magnus. Siobhan! What a name.... a name that is actually pronounce Shavon...even though it is, for some reason, spelled with an i-o-b-h in the middle. Interesting. I think from now on I might just write her name phonetically. Shavon. Ok... so Shavon has a huge voice! HUGE! I mean for such a small, interesting girl, she really can wail! She was a little off here and there, but for the most part she was very good. I just can't get over how big her voice really is. And that note at the end..... holy crap that was high! She really Adam Lamberted that sucker! I think her huge voice and quirky personality will be around for a while. I'm not sure how much I love her just yet, but she's good.

Alright...so there we have it. If I had to pick my two to go I'd say Michelle and Haeley. I would say Didi because she just did so incredibly awful, but I still really like her so I'm pulling for her make it through so she can try and redeem herself! Top of my list is most definitely Lilly and then probably Katelyn tonight. I have a feeling Lilly will be at the top of my list for this entire season. If she doesn't make the top 10, I think I'll scream. Also, if Michelle or Haeley DO make the top 10, I think I'll vomit. Honestly.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked Katelyn Epperly. I didn't get to see most of the show, and haven't seen any other ones so far, but I was seriously shocked by how much negative feedback she got. I thought the song was captivating for all of the reasons that you said you liked her. Good song choice, sounded great most of the time. Thanks for keeping us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have liked Crystal from the very beginning...her and Lily...they are not afraid to take risks and know who they are. I agree the big mouthed bass Michell has to go...she was awful last nite and she is just not pleasing to the eyes! I think Siobhan has potential and will improve...she's a bit feisty I think and people will keep her around because of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved crystal, Katelyn, lily and Shavon. I had to rewind and watch shavon again for her quirky video and crazy note at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I need to start watching more faithfully, but it doesn't really capture my attention so much anymore until the top 12 or 10. But all I know is, way to be honest!! I've only watched a little but I completely agree

    ReplyDelete